Friday, December 30, 2011

High End Product Spotlight: Tarte's Cheek Stain

Hello my lovely readers. Today I'll be giving the lowdown on Tarte's cheek stain. For those of you unfamiliar with the Tarte brand, it is  a company that offers cosmetics made from natural, vegan friendly ingredients, free of many synthetics such as parabens and the like. I'm not a vegan, but I've been reading up on why the impact of having less synthetics in my life is necessary. (More on this in an upcoming post.) But enough about the company. On to the product itself. Cheek stain is essentially a gel-like form of powdered blush in ways. It does have it's own unique properties. Since it is a gel you don't have to worry about the powdery texture some traditional blushes leave behind. (Of course, it all depends on how you apply it, as with anything.)

I myself bought the cheek stain in Dollface, a bright magenta/pink with blue undertones. I hadn't even heard of cheek stain until I visited a friend of mine who swears by it. I tried a bit, and decided I needed to have some of my own. As soon as I saw the Dollface shade I was in love. What can I say?  I'm a sucker for the china doll look. So off to Tarte's website I went! The ordering process was easy, though there was a bit of a snafu with shipment- they sent me the entirely wrong product. They did, however, correct their error, and send out the product again. Double the wait time, but I ended up with a free mini mascara.

Tarte cheekstain in Dollface.


At first glance, I noticed that the packaging was chic and fun without a lot of excess. It was a simple pink tube with a screw off lid. The cheek stain fills the entire container, to which it's user simply pushes up from the bottom to dispense the product.Once I unscrewed the lid, I was greeted with a lovely fruit fragrance. Quite a change of pace from some makeup products that can be perfumed to death. I will warn you, this is sticky when applied. It's all natural, and a cheek stain. I'd wonder how it would be possible not to be sticky. That really is the closest to a complaint I or anyone I've known has with this product. It's blendable, and a little bit goes a long way. That being said, there is a massive amount per tube. Thankfully so too, because that price tag is nothing to laugh about. I've seen more expensive products out there, but I'm a lower middle class girl who scrimps and saves for the contents of her makeup bag.

"Push up" bottom of the cheek stain.


I have seen some other girls get really creative with the cheek stain and  layer powder blush over top for a very dramatic look. I haven't tried this, but I'm thinking on my next occasion to dress up I'll give that a whirl.

Overall, the cheek stain is highly recommended. I didn't even used to indulge in blush until this came around. Sadly, however, I haven't taken any decent photos of myself wearing the product. Perhaps I'll update this post a little later with more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment